This 50 year old house is given a second life with an Extension & full Renovation to bring it from a Freezing cold house in Winter & a steaming sweat box in Summer to a comfortable home all year round.
This 1 star home has been retrofitted to an Amazing 8 STAR efficiency!. While most builders & designers are scratching their heads at how to get to the new 7 star minimum requirement on a new home, we are eclipsing that rating, using our expertise to update this 50 year old glorified ‘tent’. If you continue down this page we have a description on how we achieved this below the photos.
The brief from the owners was to upgrade their existing house to a modern home focusing on the efficiency of how the completed project would work while at the same time using sustainably responsible materials & construction methods.
Their goal was to give their home, as they have titled the project, “50 more times around the sun” .
How we were able to create this dream for them include methods such as
- Early collaboration between the clients, builder, architect & energy efficiency certifiers was essential to keep every aspect on the build considered & on budget
- Architects maximizing the passive solar design, using the sun to determine where & what size to place certain windows, where shading elements need to be applied, thermal mass heating & cooling considerations, existing trees for shading, & many other elements.
- Replacing old single glazed aluminum windows & doors with highly efficient, double glazed ‘low E’ UPVC airtight windows & doors
- ‘Tilt & Turn’ window openings to minimize air leakage
- Creating a complete ‘insulation envelope’ in all floors walls & ceiling
- Re-using as many existing materials as possible (floorboard, wall lining etc.)
- Completing an ‘airtight’ barrier & getting a ‘blower door’ test to find where exterior air is infiltrating the home & eliminate them
- Mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation to take the stale dirty air outside & inject fresh clean air inside
- Certified sustainable Cypress cladding & posts to the exterior
- Certified sustainable Plywood kitchen & joinery
- Recycled from plastic ‘grated’ decking
- Recycle as many materials from demolition as possible
- Solar panels
- All electric
- Certified sustainable Cork based vinyl flooring & walls (tip: check out the amazing benefits of cork when building your new home!)
- plus many more
Interested in upgrading your current home like this family?
Get in contact with us today.Contact Us